Followers

Monday, March 22, 2010

What's Up? Garden Edition

Last week it was unseasonably warm and sunny. I took the opportunity to run around the garden, pulling off mulch and searching for signs of spring to come. Now that the weather has retunred to reality (40 degrees F and raining), I'm glad that I took these pictures. Knowing that something is happening out these will sustain me until I can get into the garden again.

This is sorrel. Do you know it? It's a hardy perennial that can be used as a salad green, which is why I planted it. Here in zone 6, by the end of March it has usually revivied enough to start spiking salads with its lemony/sour flavor. Later in the year I cook it with spinach, or make sorrel soup.



I use fallen leaves as mulch in the veggie beds - a tip that I picked up from my sis-in-law, Sue. My son "helped" me take the leaf cover off, and what did we find lurking there? A few mache plants (pronounced "mosh" - aka lamb's lettuce, aaka corn salad) planted last fall and apparently forgotten. That mache is some tough stuff.


Another surpising find under the mulch - the chives are sprouting. Well, beyond sprouting and into sprouted. The garlic chives are a little behind them; nothing photogenic yet.


And finally, another perennial (ha, ha) favorite - alpine strawberries. These little fellas rival mache for their toughness. Can you see the reddish crown? By June the plant will be making tiny, fragrant berries continuously until late October/early November.
That's it for now - but all in all, not bad for a very early spring garden. Off to read seed catalogs, and dream.



3 comments:

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

Aren't you loving the fact that we're in spring! I can't wait to have a little bit of land so I can garden...love the pics!

Kate said...

I mean it. This year I am getting some of those strawberries. Even if for the preschooler-time-burning potential more than anything else.

Your photos are looking good!

Kate said...

I mean it. This year I am getting some of those strawberries. Even if for the preschooler-time-burning potential more than anything else.

Your photos are looking good!